Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Direct package: Thandiwe

Thandiwe looked so solemn and shy in her website photograph, I was surprised to see what a vibrant, bubbly, happy little girl she appeared to be in the direct package photos! This field office sends a TON of photos for each package, which is also a delight.

Thandiwe with her first package:

She looks excited to get it!

I sent her some articles of clothing, a coloring book and school supplies in a miniature backpack.


Modeling one of her new tops - she clearly loves the camera. How cute!






Thandiwe with her second package:

She's wearing a dress I sent her in her first package.

I sent her some clothes, a jump rope, a coloring book with crayons, a baby doll (from my personal collection) and photos from my birthday trip to the Bronx Zoo.

With her new doll, whom she named Thandy. You can see that this dress has gotten some serious wear already!

Trying on some new clothes. Hard to believe this is the serious-looking little girl from her website photo!


The letter I received mentioned that she was especially happy to get the doll. I remembered something written during one of Oprah's trips to Africa where she'd bought dolls for all the little girls in her center. Apparently one of the children was so excited she started kissing her doll's face through its plastic box. Ever since I read that, I've made it a mission to make sure that each of my younger kids has at least one doll and one stuffed toy. Necessities are best for sure, but there are some things I firmly believe everyone should have something fun now and then!


Trying out the new jump rope!

1 comment:

LinZi said...

Thandiwe is adorable! I also agree with you on having a few fun things. I gave my 10 year old sponsored child in India a doll of a little girl from India. She looked so happy she might explode in her pics... I just gave my youngest one a little stuffed dog for her birthday, still waiting on the pics.

Anyways, thanks for sharing! :)